The beginning of the Oakland County Medical Society...
In 1819, the Michigan Territorial Legislative Council passed an act “to incorporate Medical Societies for the purpose of regulating the Practice of Physic and Surgery in the Territory of Michigan.” Under this act, the medical Society of the Territory of Michigan was organized in Detroit in August, 1819. The law provided that licensed physicians in any county, upon application to the Territorial Medical Society, were granted the right to form a county society, which, within the limits of the county, had the same rights as a parent society. On June 12, 1827, a group of physicians were granted permission to form the Washtenaw County Medical Society. And three years later, in June, 1831, physicians William Thompson, David L. Porter, Thaddeus Thompson and Ezra Parke were granted permission to organize a medical society in the county of Oakland, the second county society in the Territory.
OCMS Vision, Mission, Goals & More
Who We Are
The Oakland County Medical Society (OCMS) members include approximately 1,600 practicing and non-practicing physicians of all specialties throughout Oakland County. The Society works in tandem with the Michigan State Medical Society.
By improving health care delivery and consequent health, we improve the quality of life in Oakland County.
To grow Oakland County’s community of actively involved physicians served by an organization positively impacting their work environment to improve the practice of medicine.
To view the OCMS Constitution & Bylaws, click here.
OCMS is led by the Board of Directors, a knowledgeable team of primary and specialty care physicians who guide the Society.
About Our President - Jason Schairer, MD
Dr. Jason Schairer is a board-certified gastroenterologist and associate program director of gastroenterology fellowship. He specializes in inflammatory bowel disease, with a specific interest in Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.
Dr. Schairer completed medical school before moving onto an internal medicine residency at Wayne State University School of Medicine in Detroit, Michigan. He then completed a gastroenterology fellowship at Providence Hospital and Medical Center in Southfield, Michigan. In 2011, Dr. Schairer joined Henry Ford Health System and has been working in the Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center in Novi, Michigan.